Friday, January 2, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 2, 2015 - The Day After New Year's Day

Around the world, many cultures celebrate "the Day After New Year's Day."  Except for those countries where Carnivals are occurring, the standard traditions involve making this New Year's Day, Part 2.  But instead of focusing on new beginnings for yourself, you visit with friends (generally out at a pub or restaurant) to wish them well in the new year.  So, I took that idea of the first night out with friends, capturing the fun and danger that comes with having a party so soon after making New Year's Resolutions.


I debated between starting this set with "Float On" or "All Star" but thankfully, Mr. Cicierega has got us covered.  Mouth Sounds was one of my favorite creations last year, and I feel this particular mashup sets the mood just right.  Silly fun and a lighthearted laid back attitude.  How else would you want to spend a night with friends?

I'm aiming for a general night out soundtrack that also inspires the usual New Years attitude, so I figured I have to go with the classic '80s staple.  Hopefully we can hold on to this feeling all year long!

Originally, I was hoping to play with the duality of the joy and fear that follows New Years Day for this whole mix and I leaned toward upbeat songs with melancholy subject matter.  Those that worked well with the other songs remained on the list and I felt there was no better way to follow "Don't Stop Believin'" than with this secretly depressing jaunt.  I'm all about playing with emotions subliminally.

And then sometimes, you just need to ignore the subject matter and go back to singing unapologetically.

It was then I decided to move into more modern, indie territory.  This may not be indicative of your best night out, but if this song comes on, you know I'm going to stop everything and dance.

Yep.  No regrets.

When I hear "Kids," I always want to follow it with this song.  I don't know why.  They just go together in my mind.  And, once again, upbeat depressing music is the name of the game.

It feels so wrong including this song.  But also so right.

We now enter the quieter (but still fun) portion of the evening.  So of course we need to feature the Piano Man himself.  I wasn't expecting to feature this song so early in the year, but hey, we always need the Piano Man.

At this point, I just wanted a chill song that reminded you of the fun of hanging out with friends without having to go through all the energy of shouting and dancing.  I found this to be pleasantly charming and calming.

I don't have to explain this choice to you.

I wanted at least one song to represent the "well wishes for the new year" element of today, and all songs about that subject also involve saying goodbye to a loved one.  So, I went with the most beautiful one.  Think of it as an introspective moment before you leave the bar, one last chance to see a beloved friend before the year takes them down a different path.

One final pick-me-up, sing-along before the group leaves the bar for the night.  Sure, we are saying goodbye to the old year, but as always, tomorrow is another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment