Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 10, 2015 - Van Halen Day

It's the anniversary of Van Halen's first album (Van Halen) so I finally ventured into the confusing world of hair metal.  Half of my mix is from that first album, and the rest is the best of...the rest.


This may just be a standard Van Halen track, but it's got a great hook and plenty of familiar "Van Halen" moments.  I'll admit, I'm not the hugest hair metal fan, but this I can get into.

Sure, it all sounds the same to be, but apparently this album and this opening track in particular was unlike anything anyone had ever heard before.  Well, then it certainly sounds like something everyone would hear for years to come.

This one was also an early favorite for music fans and critics.  It certainly grew on me during the assemblage of today's mix.

Um, why doesn't this song get its own Wikipedia page?  It's a classic!  And it inspired Tone Loc's "Wild Thing."  It should be in a museum!

I had to include one guitar solo, so I went with the original, the classic, the guitariest.

I honestly don't know whether I like this one or the original better.  That's how you know a cover is great.  Shout out to all my Guitar Hero playing dormmates in college.

Haha, this used to be one of my least favorite Weird Al songs, until today when I listened to "Feel Your Love Tonight" and I realized "Oh! It's supposed to be a hair metal song like Van Halen and Aerosmith!"  Descriptions tended to leave out the Van Halen part.

Van Halen II is just as good as the first album.  Sure, I only chose two songs from that one...but I really like them.

I'm kind of tired of "Jump" by this point.  It is always playing on the radio.  But the first 30 times, it was a lot of fun!  It's so '80s!

Despite only learning about them today, I suddenly felt as if I should be a David Lee Roth purist.  But I just couldn't say no to this Sammy Hagar love song about alien abductions.

This just fits right in with classic Van Halen to me.  It's really the only song from the Hagar era that I feel comes close.

Thank you, Superbad, for making sure I never forgot about this song.

But if I only had one Van Halen song in my life, it'd be this one.  All you need is to dance the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment