Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 17, 2015 - Green Day

Ah, this came sooner than expected.  It's Billy Joe Armstrong's birthday, so let's countdown some great Green Day tracks!


The best Green Day might just be American Idiot.  It spawned a Broadway musical!  It does have a lot of great tracks for a concept album, so it makes sense.  Coming right out of the gate with "American Idiot," the album is fun and dramatic and...rockin'.

Going back to their Dookie days, Green Day made a name for themselves in the alternative rock scene of the '90s.  I didn't include "Longview" but it did manage to capture the general Green Day sound.  I just happen to like "Welcome to Paradise" more.

Yay, 4 chords!  That makes this one the best automatically.

Thanks to many popular mashups and remixes, I've probably listened to this track more times than I could count during my early college years.

I never realized this was two songs, thanks to the radio always playing both together.  They blend together so seamlessly.  At least with Queen's "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions," it's easy to tell that they are different songs.

Something about that Stray Cats sound pulled me into this one.

Hmm, I probably should have saved this one for my vacation mix.

Yes, it sounds exactly like "Picture Book" by the Kinks.  That's why I kept it.  Some may call it theft, I call it repurposing.

Along with "21 Guns," this song was included in the American Idiot musical.  I guess, Green Day wasn't through picking apart today's generation of American idiots.

American Idiot set out to be an epic, so of course there had to be some epic songs on it.

Hey, Green Day's still got it!  There were many choices from their Uno! Dos! Tres! albums I could have included in place of this one.

I was saving this for my graduation mix, but it fits well for any sort of era coming to an end.  I always listen to it at the end of a particularly memorable event.

This is the last song on American Idiot, and it's also the finale for the musical.  It's one I nearly overlooked, but I'm glad I stuck through the album the whole way.  A perfect conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment