Sunday, March 29, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 29, 2015 - The Best of the Beatles (1966-1967)

It's been a long day.  I couldn't come up with a better excuse than "Today's the day that 'With a Little Help from My Friends' was recorded."  So here's some more Beatles!


After doing my taxes all day, I felt it was fitting to begin with this one.

When I was younger, I wasn't a fan of this one.  Then I got smarter.

When I was younger, I was a huge fan of this one.  Then I got smarter.

While many of the Beatles songs prior to this one have been amazing, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the first album of theirs that I actually completely enjoy the whole way through.  This concept(?) album is just fun from start to finish, making it hard to limit myself.

For example, the opening track just segues right into this one and it's hard to keep them separate.  But you don't necessarily need the intro song to enjoy this Ringo classic.

And coming in at number three is this psychedelic little number.  I should have just featured the whole album today.

Skipping ahead, I'm featuring the best song to play on everyone's sixty-fourth birthday.

Apparently, this is the best Beatles song of all time.  I mean, it's no "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" but it's worthy of that title.

As much as I like Sgt. Pepper, I might like Magical Mystery Tour better.  But that's kind of like cheating since in the UK, half the songs were meant to just be stand-alone singles and the rest of the songs were released on LPs.  But the US got all the songs bundled together, making for a great album.  And this song is my favorite from it for obvious reasons.

Because...I have to include this one, right?

Not Penny's Boat

This, along with "Strawberry Fields" were actually part of the Sgt. Pepper recording sessions, further proving that was a great creative period for the group.

Thanks to Love Actually, now every wedding must feature an impromptu orchestral performance of this song.  And I lied before, this one is my favorite Beatles song.

No comments:

Post a Comment