Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 10, 2015 - En Français!

After debating several topics, I settled on a day devoted to French songs.  Only now do I realize that this would have been a perfect day for Super Mario music.  Oh, well!  C'est la vie!


Yelle may be the biggest French electronica pop star of our time.  I'm not quite sure how fierce the competition is, but her first hit single is perfectly catchy and loud.  Brings me back to my European clubbing days that I never had.

Don't worry, this song is supposed to be nonsense.  If you need a song for the soundtrack of your wacky dumb-Americans-in-Europe comedy, this is the song for you.

My father grew up in Belgium and France, so I had to hear this song often for some reason.  I find it amusing that it was the song played nonstop at the mental asylum in American Horror Story.  It even reminds me of "It's a Small World."

Or if you just need some mood music for your quirky French indie comedy, here is a lovely piece.

Here's one of the most famous classic French songs.  You should already be familiar with it, but I won't hold it against you if you didn't discover it until Inception.

And I feel this is the other must-listen classic French chanson.  It's been used in multiple movies and TV shows as well (especially those associated with the ocean, like Finding Nemo or LOST).  I just find it so pleasant, especially when it underscores a day at the beach.

Those Canadians are at it again with their ambient music.  Heavily inspired by Pachelbel's Canon, this song reminds me of Paris at Christmastime.  Probably because I listen to it a lot at Christmas for some reason.

Thanks to the great SNL "Les Jeunes des Paris" sketch, I was introduced to this delightfully quirky song that involves cutesy raspberries and wretching to signify life's pain.

It's hard to gauge what's considered popular or not in foreign countries.  I have the feeling this one was fairly popular when it came out.  It's your typical love song set to those magic four chords.  But it's in French, which makes it dix times better.

This electro-swing track is so charming and fun!  I'm glad that my friends discovered it independently of me, because it deserves to be shared with as many people as possible.

Okay, this is in English, but French DJ Martin Solveig is behind it.  Thanks to the likes of Daft Punk, it appears many French and European DJ's are making their way towards the Western Hemisphere.  And if they continue to produce work like this, I'd be a happy kid.

Canadian Cœur de pirate is becoming quite the star and I've enjoyed every song of hers I've heard thus far.  I picked "Adieu" because it was fun, but "Comme des enfants" was a very close runner up!

Ah, here's the reason I wanted to have a French day.  I wanted to listen to more Mika!

No comments:

Post a Comment