Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 3, 2015 - Girls Day

Today marks the Japanese day Hinamatsuri, in which girls are celebrated with a traditional Doll's Festival.  And so, of course, I rounded up 13 songs that have the word "Girl" or "Girls" in the title.


Let's be honest, this song is the reason I wanted to have a "Girls Day" mix.  Reminds me of the carefree days of being a teenager.  It was also a very cool person's ringtone for a while and I hope it still is to this day.

And of course, I had to feature this classic song.  This is one of those songs that just seems like it needs to exist in the world in order for the world to make sense.

After "My Girl," "My Best Friend's Girl" seemed only natural.  I just really like the Cars' sound and this one just sounds the coolest.

Only Tom Petty could have a song about a girl that's cooler than the Cars'.

Finally, a song about "just a girl."  But with Gwen Stefani at the helm, you can tell she's being a little facetious.

Speaking of ironic portrayals of girls, here's "Girls."

Need a more specific subset of girls to sing about?  Apparently the ones from California are pretty cool.

Oh, are you British?  Well then, how about those West End girls?

Well, at any rate, girls just want to have fun.

Haha, this song.  Remember this song?  '90s kids, amiright?

Didn't get enough 2000 teen nostalgia?  Never fear.  Dawson's Creek will never truly go away.

Finally, I was able to include this recent Hanson song that no one talks about on a mix! It's great! Listen to it!

While mocking teenagers in the early days of Youtube seems like shooting fish in a barrel, this song is really catchy and I sing it to myself all the time.  That Parry Gripp is a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment