Saturday, March 7, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 7, 2015 - The Best of Broadway (1940s)

I've been wanting to do a Broadway musical mix for a while, but there were just so many songs that I couldn't find a way to pair it down to 13.  So I'll be breaking it up by decade, starting with the 1940s, when the Broadway musical as we know it truly began.


Rodgers and Hammerstein, who were already skilled Broadway artists, created a smash hit when they paired music with an actual dramatic storyline that was able to ebb and flow through varying emotions, using the music to enhance, rather than stand apart, from the rest of the story.  While there are many classic numbers, the big title song is my favorite.

There are some musicals that just become part of the public consciousness and over time, we forget where they originated from.  Take Annie Get Your Gun, for example.  I had heard the title before, but I had no idea what was actually in the musical.  Then today, I learned that two classic songs originated in this show.  I didn't even know "Anything You Can Do" was from a musical!

I just thought this had originated from some movie musical, since Hollywood loved singing about Hollywood during the '40s.  But no, not Hollywood.  This is about Broadway.

It seems as if old Broadway tunes were destined to become pop hits back in the day.  Those songs that could be entirely removed from the story, like "Old Devil Moon," would go on to be covered by every crooner imaginable for the next few decades.

Nope, Nat King Cole didn't write this one.  It originated in Brigadoon.  He certainly made it his own, though, so I included it.

While this wasn't a runaway hit like "Almost Like Being in Love," I do really like the Scottish flair of this one.

Alright, I don't know if I'm biased because this was a show I actually worked on or because it's Cole Porter but...we're going to have a lot of Kiss Me, Kate on this mix.  Keeping it to just five songs was tough!  First up, another great "We're on Broadway putting on a show" song.  (And there is definitely a "Rhapsody in Blue" flavor to it all.)

While this one isn't my favorite, so many artists have covered this tune more than any others from the show, so I felt it was worth including.

I'm including the whole 10 minute dance breakdown because how else can you convey that it's too darn hot?  Also, I'm surprised they got away with some of the lyrics they did back in 1948.  I guess Broadway was a little looser than Hollywood at that time.

I like Lois Lane's (Bianca's) songs in this show, even if she is more of a side subplot.  But compared to Lilli Vanessi's (Kate's) songs, hers are just more fun!

Um, why doesn't this have it's own Wikipedia page?  This is the best song in the whole show!  So many Shakespeare puns!

Every theatrically minded person I know says that South Pacific is the worst musical ever.  I don't know if that's just personal taste or a widespread belief or if it's just done to death.  I've never seen it and barely know anything about it.  But I liked a couple of its songs!

Finally, another love song.  Broadway's good for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment