Friday, April 10, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 10, 2015 - The Best of 2001

2001 was...not my favorite year.  Only a few of these songs am I actually passionate about.  And one of them I actually hate.  Oh boy, here we go...


I hate Train.  If I had to pick my least favorite band, it'd be them.  And if I had to pick my least favorite song, it'd be this one.  Because, like all Train songs, it pulls you in with hit's great music and then forces you to listen to those awful, awful lyrics.  Every Train song gives me this emotional tug-of-war and if I'm not paying attention too closely, I can actually enjoy them as background music.  But there's always something that catches me off guard.  In this case, it's the "deep fried chicken" part.  I hate it!  Let's never speak of it again.

Really?  Uncle Kracker was a hit artist?  Come on, America...  I guess we ll just loved this song so much.

Incubus.  It must be time for middle school angst.

This was the number one song of the year.  I mean, it's good but...really?

Here's some more post-grunge for you.

At least Staind had that cool lead voice going for it.

Okay, the last post-grunge song for the mix.  I like this one the best.  Very yelly.

Ah, this is a little more fun!  How can you not have fun when Sugar Ray's around?

I thought Nelly and Nelly Furtado were the same person for the longest time in the 2000s.

Dido! Thank you for providing us with your outlook on relationships!

Okay, now we're talking.  I really enjoyed this song as a kid.  And for some reason nobody remembers it when I try to work it into conversations.

But the best song of the year has to go to Moby.  So cool.  So Moby.

This brings us all to "Hero," the song that was released just before the 9/11 attacks.  Most depressing and/or violent songs were banned from the radio at this time to promote a better since of mind in our collective consciousness, allowing this song to fill us with hope and peace.  It's still a sad song, but it was just what we needed at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment