Saturday, April 4, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 4, 2015 - Alanis!

Yesterday, I noticed that an Alanis Morissette song was on the 2002 chart so that was my signal to finally do my Morissette mix.  As one of my favorite artists, I knew we'd get around to her eventually.  Today's the day!


While Morissette had been trying a name for herself as a generic early '90s teen pop idol in Canada, it wasn't until 1995's Jagged Little Pill that she changed her style and everyone took notice.

Something about this song really showcases Morissette's talent at being different.  The fact that every chorus ends with a completely different, non-rhyming phrase keeps the listener on their toes.

The whole Jagged Little Pill is quite strong.  While it spawned five great singles, the other tracks are just as wonderful.  Take "Mary Jane," for instance.

Yes, we get it.  It's not ironic.  How ironic.

Morissette just had so many pearls of wisdom to share with us!

This is my favorite Morissette song.  She gets me.

Sometimes, you just want Morissette to sing a haunting melody with her beautiful warble voice.

Right?!

I feel like this song is the reason Morissette was selected to play God in Dogma.  Whenever I picture God, it's always the Morissette incarnation that I envision.  Sorry, Morgan Freeman.

Here it is, the song from yesterday that made me realize it was time for Alanis Morissette today.

This one's somewhat of a rarity.  But it's such a great simple Morissette-y song that I had to include it.

:)

I really like it when musicans make great "final" songs.  This isn't actually Morissette's last song.  She still has some great post-2004 songs.  But the structure of this one, with the accompanying music video just feels like a great ending retrospective to a decade of music.  Why not go out on top?

No comments:

Post a Comment