Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Album of the Day: R.E.M. - Chronic Town (EP)

Since I use this blog as my creative outlet for every New Year's Resolution, I decided this year to work my way through the discographies of my favorite bands in order to discover which albums are truly the best.  I'm starting with R.E.M. because they have a nice large collection of LPs, EPs, live albums, and compilations of rarities, so this will be my test run.  They've also completed their musical careers, so I don't have to worry about new albums popping up.  I hope this will be a fun journey through music, as I still feel my education in this medium is lacking.

My grading scale shall apply to each song (a 5-point scale) and based on the collective grouping of songs, I'll arrive at a grade for the whole album (A to F).

Chronic Town (1982)

After releasing their first single "Radio Free Europe" (Ed. Note: To be discussed later.), R.E.M. produced their first EP to be distributed in America across college campuses.  Recorded in 1981, this EP introduced many to R.E.M.'s unique brand of whiny vocals and incomprehensible lyrics.  But that sound was crucial to the birth of alt. rock and while many didn't quite understand what was being sung about, people connected with the emotions presented.  Unlike traditional EPs, the five songs on this album are unique only to this album (instead of being reused for later LPs).  It's a nice short introduction into the R.E.M. oeuvre.

Well, this definitely sounds like a generic R.E.M. song.  It's not bad, but it doesn't really stand out from the pack.  It works as a good intro to their catalog of music, but it doesn't carry much weight. Repetitive lyrics and melodies that will be used in better songs later down the line.

This one is a lot more fun and emotional.  Drawing upon memories and ideas of minor rebellion, this song captures a nostalgic vibe that the band would revisit in later songs.  Stipe himself claimed that he viewed this as the band's first "real" composition and it definitely feels like a complete package, a strong highlight of the EP.

While it may not be an instant classic, there is more of a confidence in this composition that most of the other songs on the EP.  We also get the album's name dropped in the middle, referring to the town that this carnival (of sorts) has passed through.  There is almost an eerie, melancholy vibe to this one, though it may just be because this song reminds me of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Part of me wanted to grade this one a little higher, but it seems to be lacking the polish of the other songs keeping it just outside the realm of greatness.  We have this idea of eternal life after death but it's not fully explored or expounded upon.  It's just there.  Another average song.

To me, "Stumble" drags the EP down significantly.  The verses and chorus are fine the first time through, making it another song with odd and captivating melodies.  But the main hook doesn't hold up to repetition, because of it's bizarre nature.  At nearly twice the length of the other songs, I kept finding myself asking the question, "Am I really still listening to this song?"  It definitely lives up to its name, though.

Music Video: Wolves, Lower
Like most early music videos, we have the band singing and grooving about a minimalist room.  Not too impressive, but here you are! The first R.E.M. video! How quaint!

Overall: 3.25/5 - B-
Chronic Town was a modest effort from the young R.E.M. and it holds up as a strong starting point for anyone willing to check out their music.  While I don't see myself listening to it in total very often, it's pleasant enough to return to.  And "Gardening at Night" has definitely earned a spot as one of my favorite R.E.M. songs, so it's nice to know that right out of the gate, they were able to produce something of such quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment