Saturday, January 14, 2017

Album of the Day: R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant

Lifes Rich Pageant (1986)

After the experiment that was Fables of the Reconstruction, R.E.M. returned to a more traditionally focused album.  However, their strength as a band was growing and they had the confidence to create more politically conscious songs while also tapping into the pop music market.  Their sound was still wholly their own, but the aim was to get their messages across in a more accessible way.  Less abstract lyrics and subjects are focused on this time around.

1) Begin the Begin - 4/5
Probably the best opening song of any R.E.M. album, the band would use this call to action to open their concerts for years to come.  It has power and clarity and it represents a bold next step in the band's music.  This is one that I felt was merely okay when I first heard it, but every time I listen to it, it pumps me up more and more.

2) These Days - 4/5
Continuing the passion built up in "Begin the Begin," "These Days" represents a sort of rallying cry for the modern ('80s) youth.  There's a sense of positive defiance and rebelliousness that just adds to the fun of this album.

3) Fall On Me - 5/5
A pointedly environmentally conscious song that started as a cry against acid rain turned into more of a song about oppression in general.  It has a great chorus and presents a welcome tonal shift for the album, while remaining up-tempo.

4) Cuyahoga - 3/5
Similar to the previous track, this one tackles pollution and the plight of Native Americans.  It's a strong, well-written song, but it's not as easy to listen to as "Fall On Me."  That isn't to say it's bad, but it lacks a certain musical element to make it stick with me.

5) Hyena - 3/5
I also like the premise of this song, with a metaphorical hyena preparing to attack unsuspecting citizens.  Unfortunately, while I like the main melody and verses, the chorus loses me a bit.

6) Underneath the Bunker - 4/5
This one is short and sweet with a sound akin to Latin/ethnic music but also a surfer track like "Miserlou." Stipe's vocals are muffled as if he's speaking from a bunker through an intercom device.  It's all really cool and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

7) The Flowers of Guatemala - 5/5
Around this time, I was starting to worry, because I've been really enjoying the album so far, so I knew something would have to give.  Fortunately, this one put my fears to rest.  Like a '60s flower-power song, this one has a sweet tranquil melody with simple lyrics and wouldn't be out of place in one of those songs.  And then it just gets musically better and better as the song progresses! (I'm a big fan of songs with a slow build like this.)

8) I Believe - 4/5
Of course a song called "I Believe" is probably going to uplifting in some sense.  A nice message of hope, but in hope that you must cultivate with your actions.

9) What If We Give It Away? - 3/5
When the rest of the songs are so strong, some times you'll have one that's just okay.  Maybe upon more listens, this will grow on me, but at the moment, it's not showing its significance to me yet.

10) Just a Touch - 3/5
It's more fun than the previous song, but there are stronger offerings.

11) Swan Swan H - 3/5
Well, it sounds cool, but it's one of those songs that is hard to fully grasp.  I'm sure I'll love it in a year.

12) Superman - 5/5
It's a cover of The Clique, but it's one of the songs I most associate with R.E.M. and it's one of my all time favorites.  Compared to the original, it's very similar.  It's just as fun and this was just R.E.M.'s opportunity to share a song they enjoyed.

Music Video: Fall On Me
In a rare move, it seems as if Michael Stipe actually wanted people to pay attention to the lyrics to this one, making what is effectively a lyric video.

Music Video: Swan Swan H
As part of the music documentary Athens, GA: Inside/Out, R.E.M. is one of the bands featured.  They perform one of their then recent songs in an abandoned building.  And they also perform a cover of an Everly Brothers classic.  I wouldn't quite count it as a video promoting the album, but it fits here.

Music Video: All I Have to Do Is Dream

Overall: 3.82/5 - B+
This was just a lot of fun the whole way through and, for me, it is their strongest offering thus far (assuming I don't know what's coming down the line).  It returns to that upbeat sensibility we saw in Murmur but with a lot more passion and emotion to resonate with an educated audience who are prone to seeing a change in the world.  It does not come off as preachy but it will have you thinking and returning again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment