Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Album of the Day: R.E.M. - Out of Time

Out of Time (1991)

After spending a year on tour, R.E.M. released their second Warner Bros. record and thanks to an amazing lead single, this became their first #1 album.  As I said, it was one of the three original R.E.M. albums I had growing up and while I enjoyed certain tracks on Document and Green, I probably listened to this one the most.

1) Radio Song - 2/5
So, this one is pretty much an odd dud of a song.  It starts promising enough.  Then it throws in... rap and... childish singing.  It just feels like no one's heart is really in it.  And Stipe said that he felt people would see the humor in this opening song.  Like...I get it...singing about a crappy pop radio song.  But it just doesn't quite connect on the levels that it should.

2) Losing My Religion - 5/5
It all was leading to this.  The biggest hit song of R.E.M.'s career.  This is the first song I distinctly remember knowing was an R.E.M. song.  And it's certainly a marvelous song.  It was what drew me to this album initially, and it remains a favorite to this day.  It doesn't quite sound like any R.E.M. song before it and it has earned it's place in alt. rock history.

3) Low - 4/5
This feels like R.E.M. is attempting to do a Johnny Cash style song.  I think it works and it adds some weight to the album.  Very strong.

4) Near Wild Heaven - 5/5
This is a Mike Mills song and as such, it sounds quite similar to his "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville."  I love it's sunniness and like his other song, it also reminds me of "Frank's 2000' TV" (it's probably that song's biggest inspiration) so it all fits together in a nice, happy package.

5) Endgame - 5/5
This is mostly an instrumental, but it's just so calm and soothing that I could listen to it anytime.  It feels just like the ending of some movie or TV show where everything just seems to be working out all right.

6) Shiny Happy People - 5/5
Like "Stand," this is deliberately cutesy and annoying.  But, so help me, I do enjoy when R.E.M. gets this way.  Though this is more "I love it because it's so bad."  Even the band hates it.  That's why it's so great!  Also, it was going to be the Friends theme song originally!  And it has a member of the B-52's!  So great!

7) Belong - 4/5
I love the Lovecraftian apocalypse that this song seems to be suggesting.  It's not upbeat, necessarily, but hopeful and affirming that it'll all work out okay.

8) Half a World Away - 4/5
And how can I not enjoy an R.E.M. love song about lovers separated by a very long distance?

9) Texarkana - 3/5
This is a rare R.E.M. non-single that managed to chart.  It's a good song, but I feel there are more worthy contenders on the album.  This one doesn't quite grab me like the rest.

10) Country Feedback - 5/5
This has been cited as Stipe's favorite song and I agree wholeheartedly.  It's the strongest on the album and is among my all-time favorites.  It's got great emotion and heartbreak and it's a shame it didn't become one of their hits.  But it would make it's way on to a later all-encompassing R.E.M. compilation with good reason.

11) Me In Honey - 3/5
Like "Texarkana," this song is fine, but very overshadowed.  It's another weak offering for an album closer, but it's by no means terrible.

Music Video: Losing My Religion
This is it! The first truly classic R.E.M. music video!  (I think I said that for "Stand" too, but come on.)  I remember seeing this video back when I was a kid and only vaguely aware of who R.E.M. was, so it's iconic for me at least.  It definitely has the most going for it out of any video up to this point.  Great visuals, great flailing around.

Music Video: Shiny Happy People
Haha, so dorky!  I love it!

Music Video: Near Wild Heaven
This video gives me a real Rent vibe, for some reason.  It's simple and pleasant, like the song.

Music Video: Radio Song
Well, the video makes it slightly more palatable, I suppose?

Music Video: Losing My Religion (Live)
This is listed as a music video on Wikipedia along with their performance of "Love Is All Around," which is a great cover they were performing live during this era (and will get included down the line).  But there were other live songs during this Late Show performance and it's just that these two happened to be included on the music video collection The Film Is On.  So, here we are.

Music Video: Love Is All Around (Live)


Video Collection: The Film Is On
Like Left of Reckoning, the next set of videos ("Low," "Belong (Live)," "Half a World Away," and "Country Feedback") are all done in this found footage style.  Fortunately, most of them work in this format.

Overall: 4.07/5 - A-
Damn that "Radio Song."  If it hadn't been for that clunker of an opener, this would be the first perfect R.E.M. album.  But, even that song couldn't hold it down for too long.  Everything from "Losing My Religion" on is pure joy and a very strong showing, establishing R.E.M. as a definitive band of the '90s as well as the '80s.

1 comment: