Sunday, April 12, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 12, 2015 - Mika!

I can't wait any longer.  I want to do my Mika mix now!  (Note: I've already featured my favorite songs, "Origin of Love," "Happy Ending," "Rain," and "Elle Me Dit," but the rest are just as great.)


Mika kicked things off with this "introductory song." It was part of his autobiographical first album.  "Grace Kelly" focuses on his struggle to become recognized as an artist, and it highlights what makes him unique as a performer (even if he has to rely on his similarity to Freddie Mercury for a bit).  His voice and fun energy instantly appealed to me and I was a fan for life.

Even Mika can make a song about disappointment sound fun.

Need a song to start your day off right?  Mika's got you covered.

But it's not all fun and games.  Sometimes you need a Mika sad song.  This is the song I usually listen to when something good is coming to an end (like when I was leaving Australia).

Before Meghan Trainor was all about that bass, Mika had his uplifting ode to the big bootied among us.  Written for his mother, Mika felt it's nice when everyone feels good.

For his second album, Mika brought his lust for life back and created a worthy successor for his first album.  It's more of the same, but we love the same.

Yes, I could have gone with "Blame It On the Girls," but I prefer this other "Girl" song on the album.  It's more fun.

I once listened to this song with a friend and noted that "I have no idea what this song means, but I love it."

More movies should have Mika create their signature songs!  They'd be so much cooler!

While the first two albums were magnificent, I really feel that The Origin of Love is Mika's strongest outing so far.  Strangely, I preferred a lot more of the non-singles this time around.  Even though this one became a single, it was a remixed version with another artist and I enjoy the original a lot more.

I went with the acoustic version for this choice because when you want a sad Mika song, you want it to be pure.  Funny how after all his other songs promoting the joys of love, this one calls it overrated.  Yet, none of his songs feel untruthful.  That's just what love does.

I love Mika when he's having fun.  And it doesn't get more fun than this.

Using the Wicked song "Popular" as it's inspiration, Mika and Ariana come down against their former bullies and change what it means to be part of the "popular" crowd.  I can't wait to see what Mika's next album will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment