Friday, April 17, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 17, 2015 - The Best of 2000

This is a first.  All of my favorite songs from 2000 were actually from 1999 or before, technically.  Well, there is one that I could have used, but we're going to listen to that one tomorrow.  For now, it's Y2K all over again.


I used to think this was deep and/or technically impressive, what with it's jumbled and indecipherable lyrics.  Then, thanks to a recent history lesson, I learned that it was just dumb, poorly translated Europop.  It's still amazing.

Speaking of European club tracks, how about this one.  Thanks to my high school techno rave class, I learned about all these great tunes.

Let's keep grooving to this beat.

This is the song of the year 2000 for me.  Thanks to the constant "Now That's What I Call Music" ads I saw every day after school, I remember seeing the chorus of this song over and over again.

Faith Hill sure loves love.

Did you know that the actress who played Jack's teacher in Francis Ford Coppola's critically-acclaimed film Jack is the performer behind this song?!

Where would we be without Enema of the State?  Probably acting our age.

I lied last week.  Here's more Creed.  Sorry.

I used to think they were saying "Don't turn your back on me, baby," instead of "Until you're back here, baby" until today.

Why has it taken me so long to feature a Third Eye Blind song?!

I kicked off Savage Garden's "I Knew I Loved You" for this one.  I hadn't really paid it much attention to it until today, but it's a great love song in a year full of them.

Some songs you just really connect to, you know?

Maybe it's due to the proximity in which I first heard them, but I always consider this to be a companion piece to Enya's "Only Time."  I love listening to both in the same sitting.  One takes me to a lush, relaxing, wet forest full of life while the other takes me to a dry, mystical, colorful desert filled with emptiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment