Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 19, 2015 - The Best of Broadway (1970s)

So many musicals.  It's like there are more and more every decade!


While it technically originated in the 1960s, this Andrew Lloyd Webber musical didn't really come into the public consciousness until the 1970s.  And I decided to pick this ridiculous song to lead this mix because, well, the 1970s were ridiculous.

A Youtube comment on this song noted that while working on the musical, Webber and Rice must have decided to turn this completely pointless, boring, plot-rehashing song into the best song ever.

There was this brief period in which Christian-themed musicals were the thing to do.  I'm sure there is a historical reason for this, but as a result, we got Joseph, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Godspell.  I've already featured the JCS song I like on Easter, so here's my favorite song for Godspell.  Sorry, I had to cut "Day by Day."

As if to counteract the moral purity of those previous musicals, we received The Rocky Horror Show, a scandalous rebellious celebration of sexual perversity.  Don't worry, I'll feature "The Time Warp" eventually, but for now, let's touch.

It's time for some '50s nostalgia with the best musical of the '70s.  Tell me more! Tell me more!

How I enjoy these self-aware songs.  I went with the 1994 version since it plays more with the idea.

Humans are silly creatures.

I haven't really seen a lot of musicals.  But the songs from this show make me want to see this one.  I enjoy them a lot.

I just want to see people dance to this.

Yep, we're definitely in the '70s.

Musicals are great, you guys.

More Webber and Rice.  What a pair.

A New Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment