Friday, April 24, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 24, 2015 - The Best of 1999

We've finally made it to the '90s!  Elementary school classics, here we go!

1. Livin' la Vida Loca - Ricky Martin (1999)

A lot of the hits on this list I fondly remember as annoying the heck out of everyone in 1999.  But they were all catchy earworms.
3. I Need to Know - Marc Anthony (1999)

I'm sure you're noticing a theme popping up here.
4. Bailamos - Enrique Iglesais (1998)

As a little Weird Al wannabe in 1999, I would sing my own parody version of this song called, "A La Mode" about putting ice cream on various foods.  I was so cool.
5. Smooth - Santana ft. Rob Thomas (1999)

Of the many Latin hits of this year, this is by far the best.  I can feel myself being transported closer to the equator on a hot, summer night whenever I hear this song.
6. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls (1998)

There were three Goo Goo Dolls songs that charted in 1999.  "Slide" and "Black Balloon" are great songs, but "Iris" is the definitive Goo Goo Dolls song for me.
7. Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry (1997)

This was one of those songs that just came into being and I felt as if it always existed.  I mean, it really doesn't sound like a pre-90s song, but it also didn't seem like the rest of the sounds of the time.  It's its own thing.
8. Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz (1998)

Let's go and see the stars or see the stars or even stars.  Well, it could just be stars.
9. Back at One - Brian McKnight (1999)

R&B was also very popular during this year and most of the '90s, but a lot of it blends together for me.  This one broke things down, step-by-step, so it was easier to remember.
10. Last Kiss - Pearl Jam (1999)

1999 was so much fun that even a depressing subject like a fatal car accident can make for an enjoyable tune.  Yes, it's a cover of an existing song, but it's Pearl Jam's now.
11. Steal My Sunshine - Len (1999)

Going back to more fun songs, I may be biased, but '90s one-hit-wonders were the best of any decade.
12. She's So High - Tal Bachman (1999)

Some songs you just hear once and they stick with you forever.  I didn't hear this song until my senior year of high school, but it came at just the right moment to become a permanent song part of my personal soundtrack.
13. Believe - Cher (1998)

A hater would probably look at this list of 1999 songs and think it was one big joke.  But nope, I enjoyed all of these.  Yes, even "Believe."

No comments:

Post a Comment