Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: May 6, 2015 - Boys Day

Yesterday (5/5) was a lot of days.  Since I covered Girls Day before, I figured I should follow that up with Boys Day as well.  There aren't as many fun songs with "boy" in the title (people tend to go with "guy") so I also included words like "boyfriend" and "cowboy."  Oh boy!


A lot of songs about boys are particularly about the "bad boys."  Compared to the "good girls," it appears we, as a species, enjoy alliteration.

Well, if you like bad boys, you're gonna get a bad boyfriend.

But what if you want a good boy?  A cowboy?!  Well, they're all gone.

I'm a little upset that the Rubinoos sued Avril Lavigne for "Girlfriend" which was clearly just a loving tribute to this song.  Come on! Power pop is supposed to be fun!

Uh oh, now there is going to be a fight!

What if girls were boys?  Let's explore that topic over the next two songs.

Lesely Gore has a more famous song about boys, but this one was more fun (despite all the outdated look at gender roles that I hope is supposed to be ironic).

This one's here, don't worry.

This is officially the hardest song to find.  A Lithuanian pop singer whose big hit appeared in that one episode of Friends ("The One with the Routine") is quite the needle in the digital media haystack.  But this song has always stuck with me.

We had "American Girl" on the Girls Day mix, so it seemed only right.

Of the three famous "Lonely Boy" songs, this was my favorite.

I'm saving the Don Henley original for my summer mix, but I love this cover just as much.

And finally, a song from a father to a son that seems weirdly out of place on this mix.  The "My Girl" counterpart is called "My Guy" and thus, didn't meet this mix's requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment