Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 11, 2015 - Birth and Prophecy

 In honor of the minor Roman goddess Carmenta, who oversees childbirth and delivers prophecies of that child's life, I made the magical midwife mix.  After scouring for hours over songs about birth, predictions of the future, and helping someone through intense struggles, I found my mix.  January 11, you were a difficult day.


Apparently, this song is the most often played during childbirth (for those mothers who like to have music playing during the delivery).  I feel it creates a positive bonding experience for the mother and her helper.

I don't know much about the scary/exciting process that is giving birth, but I do know that in any hard situation, it is helpful to just breathe.

Most support songs are also romantic in inclination, but I feel this one is general enough that it can apply to any situation.  Um, just don't pay too much attention to the second verse that alludes to fighting dragons...

This cover of Kate Bush's description of complications during childbirth appeals to me because I feel Paltrow manages to complete capture the emotion of the original, only with a softer voice.  And then it really ramps up towards the end in a way that the original doesn't quite match.

And now it's time to push.  This song undoubtedly appears as the joke track on every single childbirth playlist, so I had to include it here as well.
6. Circle of Life - Elton John (1994)

Finally, the baby's here! Let's be tacky and enjoy the opening to The Lion King because everyone includes this on their delivery room playlists as well.  Oh, humanity.

Another delivery room staple, this one makes sense to me because if you're going to introduce someone to the world (and create an air of relaxation) might as well go with the most beautiful piece of music ever made.

Of all the songs that were actually about giving birth, this was the only one I enjoyed.  Everyone has their own tastes, and their own songs that are special to them and their child.  But I couldn't connect to any of them.  But something about the imagery and duality of life and death in this one spoke to me.

Finally, the baby is born, so it's time to start laying on some prophecies.  But prophecies are always vague and mysterious.  Perfect for Philip Glass.

One last common delivery room song.  Everyone just seems to want this Beatles ode about letting life go on present at the beginning of a newborn's life.  We all just collectively decided that this is the track that should be playing.

Personally, I feel this captures the start of a new life.  I originally had Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," for the specific line about babies, but I felt this classic rendition was more fitting to the mood.  A hopeful look at the future ahead.

But life can't be all fun and games.  Eventually, baby will have to learn that life can be difficult.  Most children who receive prophecies do have to go through a lot of struggles and quests, defeating all sorts of monsters and villains.  Get ready, baby.

Of course, no one really knows what the life of a new baby will hold.  Whatever will be, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment