Monday, January 12, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 12, 2015 - Have a Ska Day

What started as a Reel Big Fish mix ended up as a tribute to third-wave ska of the late '90s in general because...well, I found it difficult to ignore all these other ska songs.  I'm not a ska expert, so I'm probably missing hundreds of great songs, but these were the ones I liked.  Don't worry, I'm sure your favorite song will appear later on...


I decided to start with this minor Less Than Jake cover because it gives us everything we want about ska-punk.  A fast, brassy song that is probably also a cover of something we enjoyed while growing up.  Of their whole TV/EP, this is the tune I always return to when I'm feeling nostalgic.

This is the biggest ska hit as far as pop music is concerned.  And it's easy to hear why.  Fun lyrics, fun music, fun everything.  And basically, all ska sounds like this, more or less (which my have hurt its success more than helped it).

Like all bands, I'm drawn to those that are inspired by kitschy pop culture references.  This song is a great introduction to the band, which is one of the few with a female vocal lead, providing a nice break from the chaotic monotony.

The more I learned about Reel Big Fish, the less I enjoyed their personalities.  They seemed to complain a lot about their trivial problems through music.  So I find it kind of funny that this was their only hit.  At least they have a sense of humor about it.

While the height of ska punk popularity was clearly 1997, there's one band who's managed to keep all the ska enthusiasts happy well into the 21st century.  Streetlight Manifesto has become the ska band.  And they quickly won me over with their first album Everything Goes Numb.

So part of the reason I ditched the entire Reel Big Fish mix was that I felt they complained too much about women in some pretty annoying ways.  But back when this was the only song of their's that I knew of that fit that description, I really enjoyed it.  Plus it has the lead singer from Save Ferris!

It's been decided that this is the best ska song ever.

And here come the covers!  Reel Big Fish probably hold the record for most recorded ska covers, but none can touch their version of a-ha's "Take on Me."

Save Ferris also dabbled in covers, and you can never go wrong with "Come on Eileen."

I know, two Less Than Jake covers on one mix?  I'm just not trying hard enough.

Okay, we'll get to your favorite Goldfinger song on a later date because I have special plans for that one.  But for now, enjoy their awesome cover of "99 Red Balloons."

Yes, even Weird Al got into the ska scene for one song.  I find this to be one of his funniest as well, as it is now the only thing I think of whenever anyone mentions astrology to me.

Not enough people on the Internet have appreciated the fact that the Offspring made a ska-parody song called "Don't Pick It Up."  Not even ska fans!  Come on guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment