Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 13, 2015 - A Little Zooey Deschanel

After a long internal debate about today's mix, I got distracted by Zooey Deschanel's recent news so I decided, sure, a Zooey Deschanel mix!  It's only right.


When Deschanel was cast as the lead in a sitcom, I was thrilled.  I'd always been a fan of her music and film work.  Then the pilot premiered and it had such a weak theme song.  I was disappointed to say the least.  But, after years went by, New Girl had become my favorite sitcom and the song grew on me.  And, after hearing the full version, I love it so much more.

Of course I'd enjoy this twee cover of a twee song by a twee band for a twee movie starring my favorite twee actress.

Yes Man, the film, wasn't the best.  But it led me to seek out the book which is one of my favorite books of all time.  I still had to check out the film as the story and Deschanel's presence intrigued me.  She isn't given too much to do, but at least she added some cool songs to the soundtrack like this one.  It's quite amusing.

Deschanel provides the backing vocals to this sweet song, written by Jason Schwartzman, because sometimes the indie world needs to implode on itself every once in a while.

We're coming up on the She & Him portion of this mix, so here's an introduction to her partner-in-crime, M. Ward.  This is from one of his solo albums, but of course Deschanel is never far behind.

She & Him take Deschanel's love for classic rock songs and love ballads and keep them relevant in the 21st century.  Nearly all of their songs could sneak onto a '50s record without much trouble.  I enjoy it when it's clear their having fun just making their art.

As I was picking the Volume One representative, I knew I had to include this one from that opening drum beat.  And then the chorus kicks in!  So retro.

Oh, this one has a fun music video!  And fun lyrics for a mythologically-minded mind like mine.

I may have purchased the only copy of this album from an independent Chicago record store while they were playing it on the sound system one Christmas.

Good job, Disney.  Bringing back Winnie the Pooh deserved the She & Him treatment.

I never wanted it, but I needed it.  Zooey, you get me.  In a past life, I must have been a teenage girl in the '60s.

Of course She & Him would just straight up make an album of classic covers.  It was all leading to this moment.

This is fresh from the latest New Girl Christmas episode and I instantly rushed out...to the Internet to download it.  A She & Him cover of one of my favorite songs ever?! Uh, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment