Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 14, 2015 - Foo Fight!

Let's take a look at Dave Grohl.  This drummer/singer has seemingly collaborated with every rock band you can imagine, so it was difficult trimming down his entire body of work to one mix.  I decided to focus on his post-Nirvana career, because otherwise we'd be here all day.


Is it wrong to start with what is considered to be the best song of the Foo Fighters?  Personally, I find the rest of this mix to be even more enjoyable.  But I'd be remiss not to include this classic.

This was one of the first hits for the band that Dave Grohl worked on while still with Nirvana.  It's an amusing pop love song that doesn't quite fit with the usual Foo Fighters vibe.  That irony, combined with it's campy music video, makes it all the stronger.

This first official single seems to draw more from its grunge roots, especially considering it's backstory.  I nearly overlooked it until I recalled Weird Al's "Alternative Polka" from the mid-90s which featured a great "I don't owe you anything!" breakdown.

Here's another slower love song with a secret edge.  I enjoy it when the Foo Fighters change up their typical sound.  It creates more magical moments.

It admittedly took me a while to warm up to the Foo Fighters.  But it was this song that won me over.  Even the music video helped.  Dave Grohl seems to be one of those naturally born performers.

While "I'll Stick Around," was inspired by Kurt Cobain post-death, this one was actually written back in the early '90s when Grohl had just joined Nirvana.  As he was hesitant to share his sound with the band (preferring to let Cobain take the lead), he recorded his own music under a pseudonym, including this song.  Here, he sings about his first meeting with the band that would ultimately rocket him to fame.

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

This is a re-recording of older song from the FF library.  I enjoy the original, but some songs really benefit from acoustic performances, and this one really showcases Grohl's talent by allowing him to slow down and sing softly.

I guess, technically, this was the first Foo Fighters song I really paid any attention to.  I didn't know it was Foo Fighters, but it was part of my early college soundtrack, so it was a constant part of my life.

This song nearly appeared on many previous mixes so far this year (New Year, New Beginning, especially).  It finally has a home.  Nice and inspirational.

Okay, so I learned a lot about the Foo Fighters today.  Above all else, I learned I liked them.  I only knew them for "Everlong," or so I thought.  It seemed after each song I'd check out, I'd learn, "Oh, that song's by Foo Fighters too?!"  I don't know what that says about them or me, but I was pleasantly surprised multiple times today.

Although I only focused on Foo Fighters today, Grohl has had his hand in many musical pockets.  He's collaborated with everyone from Queen to the Muppets.  But during one of his latest creative projects (directing the Sound City documentary), he used the opportunity to create a brief supergroup with his pals from Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails to create this awesome piece of music.

So, I lied, I'm including one Nirvana song because it was one of the first that Dave Grohl created himself.  It was so cool learning about his history today.  It was interesting to read about him blossoming from a shy, young drummer into a rock superstar.  This remastered version of an old demo captures young Grohl's personality well as it's the only song where he gets to take the lead, so he is audibly nervous and apologetic (yet not without his edge).

No comments:

Post a Comment