Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 28, 2015 - Sarah McLachlan Will Make You Cry

The Queen of Heartbreak and Sorrow is here to tug at our heartstrings.  Let's get lost in that powerful, melancholy voice.


Oh man, so many mistakes we've made.  This plea for forgiveness can speak to anyone who has ruined a relationship through foolishness.  Not that I can relate...*cough*

This takes me back to the '90s.  This was one of my parents' favorite songs, so it often played in the evenings.  I'm not sure I ever really learned the meaning of the lyrics, but it's pleasant to listen to.

Then this song wouldn't be far behind.  I guess we had the Surfacing album.  Interesting.  I never realized how much McLachlan was a part of my young life.

Surprisingly, I wasn't made aware of this song until well after everyone was sick of the famous animal commercials that made everyone cry.  Like, clearly, we had the album and clearly these commercials were everywhere, but nope, I missed this one for years.  Although it is cloying, it doesn't bug me.

Sometimes, you just need a Sarah McLachlan song called "I Love You."  If you haven't heard it, it sounds exactly as you'd expect it to.  So, perfect!

Stepping away from her best album, I wanted to highlight some other choice songs of her career.  I feel "Fallen" is one of her best offerings since Surfacing, as it could easily fit in with those songs.

Maybe it's just a common thing, but many McLachlan songs seem to enjoy long lives as dance remixes.  Out of all of the various choices, I stuck with the "Stupid" Mark Bell remix.  It doesn't overshadow the original.  It just makes it a little more pure, in a way.

McLachlan has collaborated with many other artists in the music and film industry.  She seems to be a popular choice, due to her signature style.  Need an introspective song for your whimsical film?  She's got you covered.

Lately, McLachlan has tried to branch out into more...upbeat territory?  Or at least she's tried some different sounds.  They're still distinctly her.  Here is a more optimistic track.

Although she didn't get big until the mid-'90s, she has some great tracks from early in her career.  This one seems to hint at the best that was yet to come.

This.  This song.  This scene.  Gets me every time.

Just in case you need to mellow out after that last track, here is a long relaxing trip to help you regain your composure.

I kind of love this song in an ironic way.  Despite it's blatant attempts to pull on our emotions, I prefer it as the background track for the farewell of something dumb or inconsequential.  It's such a powerful goodbye song that it seems it would overshadow an actually deep ending of a relationship with somebody.  But I enjoy it all the same, even more, if it's playing over, say, a slideshow of the panelists of Match Game '76.

No comments:

Post a Comment