Thursday, January 29, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 29, 2015 - Pixar's Best

After listening to "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2 yesterday, it reminded me of all the other great music Pixar has provided us.  And so, I shall look at the rest of the Pixar lineup to determine the best piece of music from each film.  Now, at the moment there are 14 films out currently, and only 13 spots on my list, so at least one of the films won't make the cut.  It'll probably be the non-Toy Story sequels, since I haven't seen those...


The first Pixar song we all know and love.  Randy Newman started his career as Pixar's resident composer with Toy Story and this ditty became the main theme of the series, if not the company as a whole.  You can't not include this song when you're talking about Pixar.

However, I much prefer this track from Toy Story.  While Pixar's films would get more and more emotionally manipulative as time went on, it is with this song where we see that Pixar wasn't just content with cool effects and technology.  Buzz's moment of self-awareness and tragic attempt to fight the truth is captured in this pessimistic song.

Well, when you hire Randy Newman, you get Randy Newman.  This song starts pretty silly, which causes me to nearly skip it every time.  But if you hold on for 30 seconds, it becomes a great work of art.  Kind of like A Bug's Life, itself.

Since I already used "When She Loved Me," I chose this orchestral piece.  The scene itself of the cleaner fixing up Woody's wear and tear is really cool and this music helps provide all the whimsy necessary to make us forget that Woody's history with Andy is being erased.

I didn't choose Mike and Sully's duet of "If I Didn't Have You" because it's a song that's funny and enjoyable every once and a while, but I can only take Billy Crystal's ad-libs so many times before I grow tired of them.  Maybe I'll include a cover of that song later.  But for now, it's the fun "Scare Floor" theme music.

The first Pixar film to not use Randy Newman...used his cousin Thomas instead.  His more restrained tone fits with the more dramatic movie plot of Finding Nemo and you can hear it in the opening music that plays after Marlin's family is wiped out.

For The Incredibles, Pixar went in a whole new direction.  It's the only film in the library that seems to be it's own entity and not part of the larger universe of Pixar.  Brad Bird was brought on as the director to lend his personal flair to the film, and Michael Giacchino (who had just begun making a name for himself as the go-to Disney composer) replaces the Newman family.  He creates some of the best instrumental music I've ever heard and this is definitely one of his finest achievements.

So, I'm not the biggest fan of Cars.  It had it's moment and it's charm, but it didn't really resonate with me.  And I was afraid I'd have to use that Rascal Flatts "Life Is a Highway" cover since it's the song I most associate with the film.  But hey, the main theme was actually this Sheryl Crow song.  And it's not half bad!

Brad Bird came back to direct what may be my favorite Pixar film (tied with Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, and Brave).  And that meant Giacchino was also back.  The French-inspired score was wonderful, and this main theme is probably my favorite track on this whole mix.

After the beautiful WALL-E had finished playing, I rushed home and bought this song, like a good little consumer.

Giacchino returns once more to deliver the most iconic Pixar music of the past 5 years.  If you are unfamiliar with the scene that this music accompanies, do yourself a favor and watch Up right now.

Randy Newman's back!  I wasn't too inspired by his main theme for Toy Story 3, so I went with the final track of the film.  I have a soft spot for emotional farewell music and this one doesn't disappoint.

Wow, it's almost been 3 years since the last Pixar film I'd seen in theaters came out!  I had skipped Cars 2 but came back for Brave.  To me, I feel it's one of Pixar's best and highly underrated.  It may not reach the heights of their best films, but it doesn't really aim that high either.  It's telling a simpler story about a mother and daughter with a beautiful Scottish backdrop.  I love me some Celtic music, so of course I love all the music in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment