Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 8, 2015 - Major Tom's Journey

It's David Bowie's birthday.  I'll admit, while I'm a Bowie fan, I'm more impressed with his style and influence rather than most of his actual work.  In fact, his creation of the Major Tom character is my favorite work of his, because it created a saga for other musicians to continue to explore.  Please don't be upset that about 50% of this mix features other artists.  Just remember that without Bowie, none of this would have existed.


This is the one that started off Bowie's space drama.  A lost astronaut who is disconnected from the home he left behind in more ways than one.  This is what captured the imaginations of all who listened to it, especially during the era of the first moon landing.  Space was the coolest.

Although it wasn't directly influenced by "Space Oddity," Elton John's "Rocket Man" shares more than enough similarities with the original song that many consider them part of the same whole.  I can't help it if I also think of Major Tom during this song.

Continuing with the space theme, Bowie explored some other characters and areas of our galaxy, including this extraterrestrial who wants to promote peace and dancing!

I almost didn't include this one.  But after listening to it three times in a row, I felt I finally understood it.  It is an epic, grand ode to love and introspection and...space, of course.  Right?  It's beautiful.  (And I like how it was written as a parody of Sinatra's "My Way.")

It's songs like this that made me wish I understood musicians and poetry better.  I can't put into words why it's supposed to be great, but I do know it is.  Maybe Major Tom is singing it to his wife?  Maybe?

I went to two annual "song character parties."  The first year, I went as Major Tom.  The second year, I went as the man who sold the world.  Yes, I was introduced to the song through Nirvana, and even Bowie admits that Cobain did a great job with it, although it gets annoying when he gets no credit for writing it.

This is second specific Major Tom song that Bowie uses as more of an autobiographical piece.  It shows just how much Tom is suffering.  Not just due to his circumstances, but due to his own past actions.

Don't worry, I'm not actually including William Shatner.  But he also had a similar idea of compiling and covering space-related songs for a Major Tom album.  And Sheryl Crow lends her voice to a beautiful cover of this K.I.A. song that shows us the story from the perspective of Major Tom's wife back at home.

After listening to Mrs. Major Tom share her thoughts, I just needed a good ol' Bowie love song.

But despite the strength of love, those of us back at home are losing faith, waiting for an answer from Major Tom.

The third official entry in the Major Tom saga, things start to get...funky.  Being lost in space for years can do a number on you.

I just love how bleak the Major Tom story originally was and Peter Schilling decided, "Nuts to that! Major Tom gets a happy ending!" It's so uplifting!  (At the aforementioned song party where I came as Major Tom, we also had our songs on the party playlist.  I entered the party with "Space Oddity" and left hours later when this one came on.)

Major Tom is home safe and sound! And thanks to the Starman who taught us all how to boogie, we can properly celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment