Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 12, 2015 - An Ode to New York City

Today marks the anniversary of one of the oldest and best musical compositions devoted to the Big Apple, George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue."  I've decided to share the rest of my favorite songs about the city as well because I've been sitting on this mix since day one.


Thanks to the great animation provided during Fantasia 2000, I will always be mesmerized by this score to the hustle and bustle of New York City.

I'm not a big city person.  But it just sounds so gosh darn appealing when downtown is set to music like this!

For some reason, the album version isn't on Youtube.  Did people really not like this song that much?  I think it's a lot of fun.  Whatever, it's my mix, so I get to include Taylor Swift all I want!

Thanks, Garden State soundtrack!

Fine, here's your Billy Joel.  Now go wander around your favorite burrow.

Next to the big NYC song, this is the one that always leaps to mind when thinking of the city.  Makin' pancakes.  Makin' bacon pancakes.

A 9/11-inspired piece that I felt was a fitting tribute to that day.  I don't really want to do a mix for that day with songs that came out in response to it, but some are certainly worthy.

This one also came out around that time and it is such a powerful and inspiring song that I don't mind it was used to promote a film.  It was a pretty good film to be attached to, though.

Haha, Taco.  This is everything you need for your "glamorous" night on the town.

Of all the shows set and based in NYC, only 30 Rock was the most...accurate?  Well, maybe not, but dang! That's a great theme!

This is a cover but I heard this one first and it actually took me years before I finally liked it.  I used to always skip it, but then I recently forced myself to listen to it and I fell in love with it.  It helped that there was someone special in NYC that it reminded me of.

And then I had to leave that someone special.  I can't help but think of the time I had to leave the city behind whenever I hear this song.

Like "Rhapsody," this song is so intertwined with the city that I can't imagine any trip to the Big Apple without it!  It's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment