Friday, February 13, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 13, 2015 - The Best of 2009

Here it is.  2009.  The best year ever.  The best songs ever.


I almost included this in my Australia mix since a dear friend from Australia introduced me to this song.  But then I remembered that she shared it with me right after we had all returned back home to America.  Still, it reminds me of that wonderful year.

2009 was when we all started realizing, "Oh dang, this Lady Gaga lady is something special."  And this song me filled with such amazing frisson the first time that I knew it would be one of my top songs of the year.

Aww, I hate when they don't have the official video on Youtube.  I liked that Bobby Moynihan was the object of desire in an unironic comedic fashion.

This is just a fun song.  And it's nice to have a song that's about asking for consent.  Other contemporary songs should take note.

Green Day! Finally!  This means that my Green Day mix should be on it's way, lest I use them all to fill slots on my best of the year mixes.  I love the Full House intro breakdown in the middle of this one.

Thanks to DJ Puppies and Kittens, I will never forget this song.

Ah, finally, Britney Spears has arrived.  I am an unashamed Spears fan, and she had a lot of good choices for 2009.  Soon, I'll be unleashing my Britney Spears megamix.  This one earned the spot on the mix for being able to sneak curse words past the censors.  And songs about Amy are always great.

I like Pink a lot more than I realized.  I feel like she keeps showing up on all of these year-end lists.

This song reminds me of "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers.  That's good enough for me.

I'm assuming this song is being ironic with it's lyrics and subject material.  Because it's a lot of fun to sing and I don't want to get in trouble.

I've held off on using this song so often.  This is my favorite Taylor Swift song and it convinced me to give her a shot as an artist.  It's cliché, but this song speaks to me so much that I'd consider it one of my top 13 personal anthems.  Maybe one day, I'll compile that list for you.

Man, I think this is one of the most beautiful sounding songs in existence.  And maybe Kelly Clarkson was upset because it sounded exactly like "Already Gone," but hey, she'd get her own great song of 2009.  Let "Halo" be.

Okay, I was so tempted to put the Glee version on this list, because it introduced me to the song. (I was aware of it, but the title turned me off and I'd never listen to it the whole way through.) I'll save that version for later, so let's just enjoy the original for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment