Saturday, February 21, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 21, 2015 - Women of Country ('90s Edition)

Today began as a best of Mary Chapin Carpenter day but based on my personal memories with her work, I kept thinking of other similar sounding artists.  My parents listened to a lot of them around the same time as I was growing up.  So I decided, "Why not feature six of them?"


Carpenter enjoys focusing on the reality of relationships in her work, able to showcase the highs and the lows.  I'm not the biggest country fan, but I can appreciate how it just takes a literal look at life and sets it to music.

I remember really liking this song when I was 4-years-old.  I doubt I understood what it was actually about.  But kisses are always nice!

After Carpenter, Krauss was the big voice in my household.  It seems as if she did her best work when performing covers, but hey, she's got a great voice.  No need for original material.  She really makes every song she sings her own.

Memories are fun.  I always associate Alison Krauss with Pokemon because that's what I'd inevitably be playing whenever my parents listened to her Now That I've Found You collection.  That's the sole reason I included this song.  It took me years to realize she was saying "Georgia."

Yes, Krauss gets three songs.  She's got a super pretty voice, okay?

Here's a country song if there ever was one.  Filled with twangy depression.

Funny...I didn't realize LeAnn Rimes was responsible for this song.  Who was I thinking of...?

Canadian country is a thing I didn't realize was a thing.  Thank you, Shania Twain, for showing me the light.

Twain felt that people were missing a song that could be played at every wedding anniversary, so she filled that gap with the perfect eternal love song.

Fun Fact! I got Faith Hill and LeAnn Rimes completely switched in my head.  Sorry!  I like Faith Hill's love songs because they just feel powerful, like a force that just takes over your body.  Love feels strong in her words.

Even something as gentle as breathing feels like a tornado in Faith Hill's world.

Hey! Carpenter's back! I'm not sure why I'm so familiar with this song yet it isn't really one of her hits.  By the end of the '90s, I felt as if my parents had moved on from her, but lo and behold, this album exists in our collection.

Sorry for sneaking a 2000 song onto this mix, but you should agree that "I Hope You Dance" is worth it.  It is the best song of this sub-genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment