Monday, February 23, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 23, 2015 - TV Themes!

Here's one I've been wanting to do for a while.  My requirement is that the theme song is one that was composed specifically for the show or is a cover version that was specifically recorded for the show.  Also, I'm learning towards "full-length" songs, rather than the usual 30 second snippets we're used to.  I may be mistaken with some of these though, due to the obscurity of some tracks.


Television themes have a difficult life.  They have to be enjoyable week after week after week.  They get you pumped up to watch the show that will follow.  Some are iconic, but few are great outside of context.  This one just makes me happy.

Happy Days spawned several spinoffs, and that meant they needed to have equally great theme songs.  This Laverne and Shirley theme hits all the right notes.  It's just so inspiring!

If it weren't for this theme song, I'd doubt I'd know The Greatest American Hero even existed.  It is incredible.  Honestly, I doubt any theme song could even come close to topping this one.

When I was 13, I had TV Guide's 50 Best TV Themes on CD.  It spanned the past 50 years of television, and it allowed me to learn about television history.  I probably wouldn't have checked out as many shows as I did were in not for that album.  Case in point, Cheers.  It was the theme that pulled me in and got me to stay.

Cartoons of the late '80s and early '90s had the best theme songs.  So much care went into the various Disney and Warner Bros. theme songs that I could have filled the whole list with them.  But none can top DuckTales.

The theme to The Kids in the Hall feels as if you're getting ready to hang out with the coolest group of friends you know.  I'd certainly like to have an average weekend like this one.

Do you feel that?  That is pure adrenaline and Pop Tart sugar highs.

When you're a Friends fanatic, you kind of have to include this song.

This is a cover of a Big Star track (can't wait for Big Star day) but it really captures the spirit of the '70s and the vibe of That '70s Show.  I'd rock out to it.

I know that people aren't as keen on The Office from the U.K., but it will forever remain one of my all-time favorite shows.  And this theme song definitely helps.  There was a post-series special that used this song over a montage of clips from the show and it just really spoke to me.  Yes, a cheesy clip show montage got me.

They Might Be Giants should be commissioned to write more theme songs.

I love Community but it took me a while to warm up to it's theme song.  After learning the lyrics, I appreciate it a whole lot more.

I'm ending with this somber cover of the classically chipper tune because I felt that Joshua Radin really captured the poignancy of growing up.  The shows we once loved as a kid may no longer affect us the same way.  Sometimes, we just long to return.  Unfortunately, this one isn't officially available for download, hence the unofficial album art and video.

No comments:

Post a Comment