Friday, February 27, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 27, 2015 - The Best of 2007

I had a lot of contenders for my 2007 list, but there weren't really many stand out choices for me.  It was strange, but I feel like since I had listened to these songs so many times in 2007 that they all just started fading into the background.  Some of my true favorites have already been featured on other lists, so these all kind of feel like "runners up."  When making the tough choices about losing "Crank That (Soulja Boy)," I decided that if I listened to it on my iPod repeatedly back in 2007, then it must have been worthy of this list.


This is the song that would eventually inspired Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger." Kanye West took a classic Daft Punk track to create the hook for this song, making it instantly memorable.

I'd probably listen to this song everyday throughout my freshman year of college.  Boy, was that a bad decision.  But I must remember what drew me to it in the first place.  It was the line about the refrigerator.

Remember when Fall Out Boy was the cool thing to listen to?  Good times(?).

Apparently Pink disappeared for a bit, then came back with this and "U + UR Hand."  Both are great, but I gave the slight edge to this one.  I tend to like like "hardcore sad" Pink music.

Oh yeah, I still have to do my Red Hot Chili Peppers mix.  Thanks for reminding me!

I thought this was the stupidest song for the longest time. I felt the "Stand by Me" sample clashed with the lyrics.  He just seemed like an overdramatic moody teenager...I guess my opinion has changed.

Since this song is technically based on speculation (the narrator never specifically witnesses cheating occurring and assumes a lot of the more incriminating moments), I'd like to imagine a scenario in which it's all a big misunderstanding and the guy was innocent the whole time.

I'm hoping that by putting this song here at #8, you'll overlook the fact that I included a Nickelback song, especially one as pandering as this one.

Ah, we finally made it to the beginning of Taylor Swift's career.  Singing about unrequited love and heartache.  That's our Taylor.

Back when lipdubs were all the rage, I really wanted to make one set to this song.  Um, it's probably for the better that I didn't move past the brainstorming stage on that one.

I don't care if she ripped off the song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" by the Rubinoos.  It's still fun and great and both songs complement each other well.  Let her have this one.

No comment.

I'm cheating here and not using the Timbaland remix that actually charted.  The two songs are virtually identical, but the original is just purer and feels more heartfelt.  And it's my favorite OneRepublic song, so there.

No comments:

Post a Comment