Saturday, February 28, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: February 28, 2015 - Hot Rocks + 1

In honor of Brian Jones's birthday (founding member of the Rolling Stones who passed away in 1969), we are taking a look at the golden era of the Rolling Stones.  All of their best hits, pre-1970, are included on their Hot Rocks compilation album, serving as a wonderful introduction to the group.  However, one of their albums from this time period (Their Satanic Majesties Request) is not included on the compilation, so I've picked the best song from that album to include here as well.


Like most rock bands in the '60s, the Rolling Stones started out playing covers of earlier tunes.  So the Stones already had some hits, but "Satisfaction" was their big break where their sound was firmly established.  To this day, it remains the iconic Stones song.

Jagger and Richards had originally written this song for Jagger's then-girlfriend Marianne Faithfull, who released her own version.  But the Stones recorded it as well and it became one of their strongest somber pieces.

It seems popular bands have their own ways of dealing with newfound stardom.  This was the Stones' "leave us alone" response song.

Were the Beatles writing hit songs about Valium-addicted housewives at this time?

Despite the cover of this single stating otherwise, there should not be a comma in the title.  It completely changes the meaning of the song into something controversial and nonsensical.  This is just supposed to be a normal song about embracing the darkness that we all feel inside.

I like this song, but the feminist in me feels like I shouldn't.  After reading about all the lengthy debates this song stirred after it's released, I've reached the conclusion that this song is just about one particular individual and situation and is not an encouragement to treat all women this way.  The song still works with the genders flipped. Thanks, Camille Paglia, for your analysis.

Thanks to its perfect placement in The Royal Tenenbaums, I consider this to be the greatest Rolling Stones song.

Not every song has to be deep.  Some can just be fun.

I guess this song wasn't included in Hot Rocks because it was intended to be a satirical Beatles parody (like the album it came from).  But it is a legitimately wonderful love song.  It works without the irony.  Does that hurt it?  I don't think so.  It just has layers.

As a kid, I had two Rolling Stones complication albums that had most of these songs on them.  This one was my favorite for the longest time.  I think it was because they said "gas" so many times.  And gas meant "farts" to me.

One of my favorite Weird Al polka medleys is the one where he just set the Hot Rocks tracklist to polka music.  It introduced me to a bunch of Stones songs as a kid, but this one in particular always stuck out to me.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I learned this was a Rolling Stones song.  I just knew it as that "cool song they play in movies to let you know it's the '60s."  And apparently the cracking voice of Merry Clayton (which gives the song it's emotional strength) caused some health problems the day of the recording.  It's very sad, but somewhat awe-inspiring that a singer could really give their all in a performance.

I feel like this is a great song to end on.  Yes, the Stones continue to perform to this day, but I feel as if they've already created the perfect catalogue of songs by this point.  Yes, they want to keep going, but, well...you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment