Monday, March 16, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 16, 2015 - The Best of Broadway (1950s)

Let's continue our tour through theater history with the decade that brought us such classic shows as My Fair Lady, West Side Story, and The Sound of Music.



Nope, I didn't go with "Luck Be a Lady."  This one's a lot more fun.  I like it when musicals have really fun songs.

I thought The King and I and The Sound of Music were the same thing for the longest time.  This song especially convinced me.  It's such a Sound of Music song.  Rodgers and Hammerstein really needed to diversify.

Click click fsss.

See, if I knew more about musicals, I wouldn't keep learning about the origins of songs like this.

I felt I should feature one My Fair Lady song, but it's not really a musical I'm intimately familiar with.  I do know this song though, so that should count for something!

Finally, some Sondheim!  Now these are the songs I know.  West Side Story has the best songs and three of them come one right after another in the show, starting with the fantastic "Maria."

I said I liked fun songs.  This one makes me want to live in America.

But this show provided more than just the fun songs.  "Tonight" and "Somewhere" are just two great love standards.

I had to drop "I Feel Pretty" for this one.  So enjoy it!

Hey, this is the first musical that I actually like the whole way through, music, story and all.  It only took until 1957 for Broadway to get it right.  This signature song really sells it for me.

But, like I said, it's all about the fun songs.

Yep, fun songs or bust.

"Only one Sound of Music song?!" This is my list and I like West Side Story and The Music Man a lot more, sorry.  "Yeah, but 'Do-Re-Mi' is the one you picked?!" Shut up, it's my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment