Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 18, 2015 - Coldplay, Okay?

Cold? Play?  Coldplay.


The first Coldplay song we all heard might just also be the best Coldplay song.  I love a lot of their songs, but this one always takes me back to a warm, happy place.

Once again, I have Zach Braff to thank for this one.  Oh, Garden State soundtrack.  Never change.

The only Coldplay CD I had growing up was the Live 2003 album, which meant I was basically given the best of their first two albums.  And this is really the era of Coldplay that I enjoy the most, which I'm sure is not a coincidence.  Both A Rush of Blood to the Head and the live album begin with this track, and it is quite an opener!

In fact, why don't we just listen to the next four songs on A Rush of Blood to the Head?  It's only right.




There we go.  Wasn't that nice?  Of course we end with the song you all came for if you're not a "Yellow" fan.  It took a long while, but eventually "Clocks" became one of my favorites.  I just had to give it...time.

While this track comes from their first album Parachutes, I felt I needed to have the live version.  It's my favorite from that album and the way it builds is so strong.  It's one of the few songs where I actually appreciate that they get the audience to sing along with them.

As part of their 2003 tour, Chris Martin wrote this love song for his wife.  And it's just wonderful.  This is Chris Martin at his peak.

X & Y is the next and last great Coldplay album.  I've already featured "Speed of Sound," but the other singles are masterpieces in of themselves.

In fact, if I had to pick three Coldplay songs only, it would be "Yellow," "Clocks," and "Fix You."  That would be a perfect run, in my eyes.  "Yellow" makes me happy, "Clocks" makes me introspective, and "Fix You" just destroys me.

After Coldplay really started making the pop charts, I felt as if they lost a little something.  Yes, I included "Viva la Vida" on my best of 2008 mix, but I can take it or leave it.  And none of their other recent hits have resonated with me.  If I had to pick my favorite, I'd go with this one.  It wasn't as overplayed as the rest and it's quite enjoyable.

Yet, I can't deny that "Paradise" sounded incredible.  My only problem was that I couldn't stand the "Para-Para-Paradise" part.  Couldn't there be a version that was just the gorgeous music?  Thank Coldplay for recognizing that they still excelled in extremely beautiful music and for releasing this instrumental version.

No comments:

Post a Comment