Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 19, 2015 - The Best of 2004

I'm bringing this weekly retrospective a day early because tomorrow is the first day of spring, so we'll be busy dealing with that.  For now, enjoy your Outkast.


In the mid-00s, you could not avoid a high school dance (or any dance-like setting) without hearing these first three songs.  Usher, Ludacris, and Lil Jon's "yeahs" were the perfect mix for popular hip hop and "crunk" music.

Sorry.  This is the peak.  It doesn't get better than "Hey Ya!"  This is high school for me.  Did anyone ever use the phrase "Shake it like a Polaroid picture" before this song?

I honestly couldn't bring myself to leave this song out.  I like giving everyone a chance by only allowing one song per artist on these mixes, but these two Outkast songs just belong here.  But maybe this is more a Sleepy Brown song, yeah?  That's what I'll go with.

2004 was the best year for music.

2004 was the year that Beyonce really broke away from Destiny's Child.  She was all over the charts.  But I still found the sole Destiny's Child song on the list to be her best.  Funny.

Finally, we made it to "Breakaway."  We now enter the soul-searching heartbroken woman phase of this year's mix.

Hey, it's Dido!  I didn't expect to see her so soon.  Breakups are tough on you too, I see.

I like how Avril Lavigne is always there for me on these charts when I'm struggling to find good songs to round things out and I don't feel like apologizing for Nickelback again.

I actually managed to not hear this Evanescence song until today, at least to my knowledge.  I'm making up for my blind spot in their career.

I heard this song on the radio one day as a teenager.  And although it's a very...obvious song, teenagers like their music to be obvious.  So it became a part of my life.

This song sounds like "Lust for Life."  I don't like "Lust for Life."  I like this song.  Thank you, this song.

This was my token "That song was a hit song?! Well isn't that a pleasant surprise!" song for this mix.

And finally, it's only right for a nostalgic mix such as this to end with a song about how fast life can pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment