Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Album of the Day: R.E.M. - Document

Document (1987)

I always felt as if this was the first "real" R.E.M. album.  Everything pre-Document felt as it belonged to another era to another band that wasn't quite R.E.M. as we know them today.  Part of it had to do with the fact that this was one of the few R.E.M. albums my father owned (along with the next two, Green and Out of Time) so I listened to it a lot in my youth.  But also, it contains two of the bands biggest mainstream hits that I still hear on the radio to this day.  And while I occasionally hear some pre-Document tracks, it's not with the same consistency as the two from this album.  This was the first album co-produced with Scott Litt, who would remain with the band over the next 5 albums, so apparently that change in structure and tone isn't just all in my head and we are entering the second era of R.E.M.  This is also the last I.R.S. album (excluding the compilation album Eponymous) so this is definitely a transitional record.

1) Finest Worksong - 5/5
Document comes out of the gate swinging!  While I may skip this song from time to time, it is a strong offering with a clear message and a great, confident sound.

2) Welcome to the Occupation - 4/5
The flow of this album works well.  I always picture the first three songs of this album as an intended trio and while this is more of a transitory piece, it continues the marvelous, passionate theme.

3) Exhuming McCarthy - 5/5
Not only is this a fantastic song, but it was my first history lesson about McCarthyism as a young teen.  While I may have originally missed the parallels between McCarthy and late '80s America, the song always stuck with me and I'd return to it time and time again.

4) Disturbance at the Heron House - 3/5
I enjoy this song, though not as much as the openers.  It's pleasant enough, though.  I mean, subject matter notwithstanding.

5) Strange - 3/5
Well, today I learned that this is actually a cover song.  It's originally a 1977 punk song by Wire.  I think I prefer it's original slow sound however.  It reminds me of a song I'd hear on Scott Pilgrim.  Stipe's voice in the R.E.M. version is a bit too nasally and...strange in this upbeat cover.

6) It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - 5/5
Here it is, the first amazing R.E.M. song.  You may argue with me, but it has staying power to this day and it probably will until the end of the world.  And I feel fine saying that.  It's fun to listen to and to try and fail to sing along to.

7) The One I Love - 5/5
And bang! Another amazing R.E.M. song.  This is their first single to go platinum and with good/bad reason.  A lot of people took this to be a simple love pop song, but a quick analysis of the lyrics reveal that it's an anti-love song.  I just enjoy the fact that so many people misinterpret it and play it at their wedding or anniversaries.  And also, fire.  (This album's theme is fire, by the way. Forgot to mention it.)

8) Fireplace - 2/5
Ugh, I hate that this song has the intro that it has.  It's such a shift after back to back greatness.  The meat of this song isn't bad, but I can't get into it at all.  Then there's that sax solo that really dates this song firmly in the '80s, which R.E.M. has managed to avoid so far.  More fire, though!

9) Lightnin' Hopkins - 3/5
This is much better.  This has a fun intro and melody throughout.  But, like "Strange," Stipe affects this weird annoying voice throughout.

10) King of Birds - 4/5
I just really enjoy this one.  Maybe it's the dulcimer.  Or maybe it's the imagery.  It's quite poetic.

11) Oddfellows Local 151 - 3/5
This one is fine (and more fire!!!!), but it goes on a tad bit too long for my liking.  Very repetitive.

Music Video: The One I Love
Can't embed these ones, sorry.  The music video is pretty straightforward, by R.E.M. standards.  The visuals are appropriate to the song and there is a disjointedness throughout.  Not an iconic video.

This one works a bit better than "The One I Love," but it could have used much more frantic editing and imagery to match the fast-paced lyrics.  But the stillness is almost haunting in a way, suggesting that this kid who is featured in the video has just given up on life and is going to have fun or...not.

Music Video: Finest Worksong
Stipe directed this one and I think it's the coolest of the bunch.  It's still that usual visual style, but the metal working imagery fits in with the sounds of the music very well.  It feels like a worksong!

Overall: 3.82/5 - B+
Huh, so due to my math, this came out to be the exact same score as Lifes Rich Pageant even though I feel that I like this one more.  I blame the last few tracks of the album which go on a bit too long and drag out the entire experience.  But if push came to shove, I'd recommend this one over the previous album.  While there are a lot of fun songs on the former, this one has a dedicated focus in it's political commentary and thematic consistency.  Plus, you can actually understand most of the lyrics this time! And when it hits those heights, it really excels!

No comments:

Post a Comment