Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Album of the Day: R.E.M. - Eponymous

Eponymous (1988)

The final album released under the I.R.S. contract was fittingly a "best of" compilation, featuring the band's biggest hits from each album, as well as some alternate takes on tracks and one bonus song that had only appeared on a movie soundtrack before.  I'll still review it like any other album, though I won't repeat my discussions on any tracks that appeared on previous albums.

1) Radio Free Europe (Original Hib-Tone Single) - 5/5
This is the original single that kicked everything off in 1981.  While "Radio Free Europe" was released on Murmur, this recording existed first and, after listening to it a few times, I agree with the band that this take is better.  I enjoy the faster pace and the less composed production quality.  So I'm bumping this up a grade over the Murmur version.

2) Gardening at Night (Different Vocal Mix) - 3/5
Unfortunately, the same does not hold for this alternate take of "Gardening at Night."  I feel a lot is lost from the slower, more muffled version from Chronic Town.  It's nice to have this version as an option on an album, but it would have been stronger with the originally released version instead.

3) Talk About the Passion - 5/5
Same as Murmur track.

4) So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) - 4/5
Same as Reckoning track.

5) Don't Go Back to Rockville - 5/5
Same as Reckoning track.

6) Can't Get There from Here - 5/5
Same as Fables of the Reconstruction track.

7) Driver 8 - 4/5
Same as Fables of the Reconstruction track.

8) Romance - 1/5
Yeesh, I was wondering why I hadn't heard of this song before and now it's plain to see why.  Kudos to sticking a "new" song on the album, but all I'm left thinking is that they could have just as easily put on "Superman" from Lifes Rich Pageant and this would truly be a "best of" album.  But maybe there were complications since that's technically a cover song.  Oh well.

9) Fall On Me - 5/5
Same as Lifes Rich Pageant track.

10) The One I Love - 5/5
Same as Document track.

11) Finest Worksong (Mutual Drum Horn Mix) - 5/5
This is the single version of the track and it's virtually the same as the original, except with horns added to significant moments in the background.  I already gave the original 5/5 and while the horns don't hurt it, it definitely gives it a different, more powerful flavor.  It's hard to say which I prefer, since I'm so used to the hornless version, but it's not enough to change the grade for me.

12) It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - 5/5
Same as Document track.


Music Video: Talk About the Passion
Hey, there's actually a music video to promote this album!  "Talk About the Passion" finally gets the video treatment, probably since the band was a bit more confident in making their political statements at this point in their career.  The video emphasizes all the subtext into text.  Not too bad.

Overall: 4.36/5 - A, 3.58/5 - B (for "new" material only)
I'm not quite sure how to best grade these compilation albums.  If someone were coming into the band fresh and needed an idea of the band's I.R.S. years, then this is a near perfect album (hindered only by a lack of "Superman" and the better version of "Gardening at Night").  For fans who already have all the previous records, the new material is just fine.  It's interesting enough to check out, but it's not necessarily worth getting a whole album for.  I would just get the original "Radio Free Europe" and continue on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment