Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: April 14, 2015 - The Best of Broadway (1960s)

I had a hard time making this mix because I truly wanted to to represent the wide array of Broadway musicals that came out during the 1960s.  Then I just said, "Screw it, nothing but Bye Bye Birdie!"


Yes, I'm going with the film version, but that's what I grew up with.  And yes I went with the corniest of corny songs in this corny musical.  But I love it!

I almost put "Put on a Happy Face" but then I remembered that this one was a lot more fun.  Sure, it moves the story along, but it's dynamic.  Plus, it has a bonus chorus of "We Love You, Conrad!"

The movie version is just an epic dance number over the original, so I went with that one.  It was a tough decision.  I like both a lot.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I chose this one over "People."

You know, I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof and I only have the faintest notion of what it's about.  But if this song is any proof, it's an amazing story and show.

This was really the only song I knew I had to include today.  I do have some cred.

Here's another show I've always meant to see.  At least I was familiar with this song!

And obviously I'd have this marvelous song.  It's iconic.

Like Bye Bye Birdie, I'm more attached to this show since I was in it.  And I really wanted to be the Emcee, so I had to include this opening number.

And in the version of Cabaret I was in, our Sally Bowles always made me tear up with her soulful rendition of her final song.  It was probably my most favorite show that I've ever been a part of thanks to her portrayal and voice.

I'm surprised I didn't flood this mix with songs from this show.  In the end, I went with the song that still speaks to me everyday.

Hair seems like an awesome show to be a part of.

"It's bringing love! Don't let it get away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment