Friday, January 23, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: January 23, 2015 - The Best of 2012

Going back in time once more, we come to the year that the world ended.  I actually have far stronger memories of songs that I associate from this year than I do 2013, which is odd.  I think part of it was because I was introduced to a lot of new music at festivals and such, but I'll address them later.  For today, it's back to the Hot 100, to see what 2012 was like.


2014 was the Year of Happiness and 2013 was the Year of Silliness, but 2012 was the Year of Guilty Pleasures.  Almost every song on this list can make you say, "Really?  You like that song?"  Case in point: "Gangnam Style."  Sure, it won us all over with the silly music video, but I would probably listen to this song every day, either online or on the radio.  It was so catchy and entertaining.  A great party song, even though I didn't understand the lyrics at all.

This '90s throwback of a song was a contender for the first track on this mix.  It was also a great guilty pleasure of mine that year.  Once again, the catchy music has won me over.  (I didn't even really watch the video until years later.)

2012 gave us Psy, Carly Rae Jepsen, and One Direction.  While music snobs may have cringed, I was in heaven.  I didn't realize until this moment that I've put a 1D song on each mix of the year so far.  I guess I'm a Directioner.  This still remains my favorite of their songs.

Am I losing the little credibility that I once had as a fan of pop music?  Did I ever have any credibility?  Don't care.  We shouldn't feel guilty about our guilty pleasures.  We should just call them "pleasures."

Now, I'm loud and proud about my Taylor Swift fandom.  But there was a time I had to be less vocal about it.  I couldn't just go around in public singing along to "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together."  We truly live in a better age.

Ooh, I remember hearing this right before it blew up and became the song of the year.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  No need to feel guilty about this one.  It did get a bit overplayed, though.  I liked it better as a hidden gem that I didn't have to listen to daily.  It's more like a one-a-month song.

So, in 2012, the Infinite Jukebox was developed.  It creates infinite loops of songs by jumping to structurally similar parts of the song.  It's cool, but it has it's share of kinks.  And the best one is that on "Paris," it gets stuck at "Yo whip so cold, this old thang."  Forever.  It takes this masterpiece and it makes it like...a whole new level of art.  Transcend to a new plane of existence here.  Also, don't let Kanye into his zone.

It reels me in with that '50s opening and doesn't let go.

I originally thought this was going to be the song that plays during the ending credits to "Wreck-It Ralph."  I just picture video games whenever I hear this song, and it came out at the same time as the film.  It...it made sense to me.

Nicki Minaj's creepy robot aesthetic pays off in this song.

I'm breaking my self-imposed rules by featuring more than one song by the same artist per year (but I consider this more of Sia vs. Nicki Minaj, rather than David Guetta vs. himself).  There is an a cappella rendition of this song that I just love, but the original still is a fantastic song.  I'll include the cover later when I do my a cappella mix.

This is a Twilight promotion?  Oh well, this is one of those love songs that just hits all the right notes with me.  Christina Perri gets a lot of hate in the pop music field for some weird reason.  I think her voice and songs are radio perfection.

This is my jam.  I want it to play every night I go out.  For some reason, I've categorized it as a "Thrill Seekers" song.  It just seems like the epic beginning to a young group of modern adventurers out to paint the town red.

No comments:

Post a Comment