Saturday, March 14, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: March 14, 2015 - Pi Day

How am I going to do a Pi Day mix?  Why, by choosing a bunch of songs with a runtime of 3 minutes and 14 seconds of course!  I'm going by official album track listings, so while the links may be off by a few seconds, there was still good intention behind each choice.  This is going to be a strange one.


To get us ready for this eclectic mix of songs, it's only fitting that we start with this electronic house music.  Just endlessly repeating the same phrase over and over, like a circle.

More like "My Number Pi," amirite?

Green Day just keeps popping up!  Can't keep them down.  Just like pi...

How do you like them apple pi?

This is to make up for the day that I skipped out on making a Blur mix.

Can a 20-year-old boy band still call themselves "Boyzone"?

This is the first song that comes up when you search Wikipedia for songs with a length of 3:14.  So It must be historically significant.

I'm going to have to wean myself on to the Smiths.  I know that they are supposed to be the band you list as your favorite if you want to call yourself a music critic, but it's daunting to go into their work unfamiliar with their catalog.

Hey! A song that I actually knew before starting this endeavor!  Since pop songs are required to be between 3 and 4 minutes for radio airplay, I thought I'd encounter many more familiar songs.

Oh, right, we are here to celebrate pi!

If you're thinking to yourself, "This sounds like the intro for the Blues Brothers," you are not alone.  It was influenced by "I Can't Turn You Loose" and the Blue Brothers would pair the two similar instrumental pieces together to make an extended epic intro.

Here's a mashup of Mousse T.'s "Horny" and the Dandy Warhols' "Bohemian Like You."  Had it not been 3 minutes and 14 seconds long, I would have never discovered it.  And my life is all the better for that random time code.

Like Lemar, pi is invincible.  It'll always go on forever and ever.  And this song is just an incredible feat, worthy of infinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment