Sunday, May 3, 2015

Mix Tape of the Day: May 3, 2015 - The B-52's


It's time for some B-52's.  Their unique, quirky, talky songs are always interesting to say the list.  I figured we start with the other-worldly "Planet Claire" to introduce those unfamiliar with this band.  It's "Peter Gunn" should help riff draw you in.

This one's a lot of fun to sing.

This song makes me want my own Private Idaho.  I think this may just be my favorite B-52's song.

During an awkward period adjusting to their popularity, the band released this unfinished album.  It's not the strongest, but the lead song "Mesopotamia" is definitely what you expect out of a B-52's song with that name.

Yep, Weird Al did the B-52's thing too.  An unnecessarily long weird song about a random topic filled with vocal flourishes and emotionally driven backup voices.  A perfect fit to slip into a B-52's mix.

If you know one B-52's song, it's this one.  And I don't blame you.  It's fantastic.

This one sounds so different from the usual B-52's sound that I never fully put the two together in my mind.  It was just that "fun '90s road trip song" to me.

Now we're getting into uncharted territory for me.  The first half of this mix were all of the songs I was already familiar with.  I selected this one due to the R.E.M. collaboration. They later provided vocals for "Shiny Happy People" to return the favor.

I'll admit it, the title of this one sold me on it's inclusion.

There was a live-action Flintstones movie in the '90s where the "B.C.-52's" sang the theme song.  Sounds about right.

On their greatest hits album, the B-52's of course included a new song and fortunately, it fits right in.

After nearly a decade off, the B-52's returned to form with this this fun throwback.

I just really liked this one because of how different it sounds.  It's a lot calmer than usual and it feels like the were aiming for something a little more serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment